Sunday, July 12, 2015

The day before you travel

I'm leaving tomorrow to spend a week in another country. It's an experience I have had so many times over my life, but for some reason I am full of fear. I enjoy being there, I enjoy arriving there - I just don't enjoy preparing to go there. 

Today I have been deciding which bag to take. I don't want to stand at the carousel waiting for bags. I want to exit the flight, exit the airport building and arrive in the country. For whatever it's worth, my arrival really only happens when I put my bag on the floor of the place where I will sleep and close the door behind me. That makes the journey very long. Not just the flight but the drive to the airport, the waiting in the airport and the lining up at the gate. Then there's the boredom of the flight, the journey from the airport (in this case a bus and then 2 trains). I expect to be in traveller mode from 8 AM until 6 PM. I feel tired just thinking about it.

I've been organising car parking, boarding passes, travel insurance, and a heap of other stuff. It feels like a day job going away like this.

When I get where I'm going I plan to rest. I plan to sit with a coffee and just watch everyone rushing about while I finally get to do nothing but rest and relax.

No comments: