Saturday, June 11, 2011

User.Guide.Duh!

I got a new phone a few weeks ago. It's a Samsung Galaxy S smart phone. It runs the google Android software so it can do lots of clever things.

Naturally I assumed it would be able to connect to my handsfree unit in my car, a Plantronics K100. The Plantronics unit is easily the best car handsfree unit I have ever used. Simple to set up and simple to use. How hard could it be?

Well being a man I managed to make it much more difficult that it should have been. Step 1 was to try and do this without reading any instructions whatsoever. This step usually takes a week or two.

Step 2 is to scratch your head and repeat step 1 all over again.

I finally gave in and googled "Samsung Galaxy S pair with Plantronics K100" and all I got was a load of websites trying to sell me either device. I then youtubed (if that's even a verb now) "Plantronics K100" and found a few well made videos that explained what the K100 does and how to turn it on and off. Not very useful for my predicament.

We're probably at step 5 now which is to visit the manufacturer's website and look at the user guide. I did that and it explained exactly what to do. Turn off the Plantronics K100. Hold down the power button continuously until the little light flashes blue and red. Then click "scan for bluetooth devices" on the phone handset and that's it. It worked! 3 weeks later.

Lesson learned? Probably not.

No comments: