Sunday, May 30, 2010

From a time ago


This is my Atlantic beach pebble.

I picked it up many years ago on a windy grey North Carolina Sunday and have had it ever since.

I remember that day vividly.

I was with Grainne and we just decided to drive to the ocean, not knowing how far it was or how long it would take.

I remember passing lots of sleepy little places, places that were once vibrant but not any more. I remember the monotony of the drive and the unusual greyness of the day.

I remember passing a Sea Harrier mounted on a pole on the left-side of the road at one point.

And then we were at the ocean. Atlantic beach had those funny little coastal wood and wire fences that you often see in movies. So we put on our sweaters and took a walk on the beach. There were some people attending to an unfortunate whale that had washed up on the beach and had clearly died.

There had been efforts to move it but they had failed.

And for some reason I stopped, bent down and picked up this pebble and held it in my closed hand for a little while, slipping it into my pocket back at the car.

Lots of things have changed and happened since those days.

No comments: